The blue tablecloth represents one of the best manifestations of the organic fusion of eastern and western origins in Georgian culture. It was used to cover the tables of feasts, or was spread directly on the ground (such tablecloths have a narrow and elongated shape). It used to be loaded with festive dishes, food, and drinks. The cheerful drawings on the textile filled guests with a celebratory spirit from the very beginning.
The Church of St. Nicholas stands on a small elevation in the village of Nikortsminda (Racha region). According to the inscription on the west façade, it was built in the latter years (1010-1014) of the reign of King Bagrat III (975–1014). The Church is preserved in almost original condition, though traces of the restoration that was carried out in the 16th century are evident on its façades.
In ancient times, a large fortress known as Apsaros was located in the modern village of Gonio, and served as one of the most important Roman strongholds in the Eastern Black Sea region. Although the exact date of its foundation is unknown, it is believed to have been built in the first century AD, and restored in the fourth and sixth centuries.
On December 1st, Lia Bagrationi's exhibition "Fall Hazard" will open at Artarea Gallery.
On February 14th, Tamo Jugeli's solo exhibition, 'Random Order' opens at Gallery Artbeat.
On January 14, a retrospective exhibition of the great Georgian scenographer Soliko Virsaladze (1909-1988) will open at the Dimitri Shevardnadze National Gallery.
On December 18th, Tato Akhalkatsishvili's exhibition "Eccentric Traveler" opens at Dimitri Shevardnadze National Gallery.